Unit 3 Could you please clean your room?
Section A 1a-1c (Period 1)
1. Last week everyone was trying (cheer) up Jimmy.
2. He now has 16 bikes (fix) up.
3. I want (travel) alone. My parents told me (not do) so.
4. At 12:00 a.m. ,I called my friend (come) over for lunch.
5. I saw him (play) basketball almost every day.
1. What do you usually do when you’re free?
2. Do you like doing housework? What chores do you often do at home?
短语: do the dishes, make the bed, take out the rubbish, fold the clothes, sweep the floor, clean the living room …
Could you please take out the rubbish?
Sure. / Sorry, I can’t. I have to finish homework first.
Ask for permission
1. 垃圾；废弃物 2.折叠；对折
3. 扫；打扫 4.地板
Could you please with a few things?
1. Watch the photos and talk about them “What does he do every day?’ and learn these phrases: do chores, do the dishes, make the bed, take out the rubbish, fold the clothes, do the laundry, clean the living room.
2. Look these phrases and practice the conversation: Could you please take out the rubbish? Sure. / Sorry, I can’t. I have to finish homework first.
3. 1a Do you do these chores at home? Discuss them with your partner.
4. 1b Listen. Who will do these chores? Check (√) Peter’s mother or Peter.
Make conversations about the chores in 1a.
A: Could you please...?
B: Yes, sure. /All right. /No problem./Certainly.
Sorry, I can't. I have to do..
Sorry, I can't. I am doing...
1. She is (叠衣服) now.
2. I don’t hate （倒垃圾）. It’s fun.
3. Miss Kang often （打扫起居室）at weekends.
4. Mr. Wang likes to helps his wife （洗衣服）.
5. Lucy’s mother asks her （整理床铺）by herself after she gets up in the morning.
Section A 2a-2d (Period 2)
do the dishes, sweep the floor, take out the trash, make the bed, fold the clothes, clean the room
2.展开对话 —Could you please…？
—Yes, please. / Sorry, I can’t.
4.重点句型: —Could I use your computer?
—Sorry. I'm going to work on it now.
—Could I watch TV?
—Yes, you can. But first you have to clean your room.
5. 教学难点：Role-play the conversation.
1. help out 动词短语，表示在某人繁忙或遇到困难时?#26696;?#20104;帮助”。help和out之间还可以加入具体的“人”。
e.g. He helped me out with my task.
They helped (us) out with the clean-up.
2. at least 至少
e.g. We should brush our teeth at least twice a day.
3. be back 回来
e.g. I won't be back till 11:00.
4. any minute now
minute还可以用second, moment, time等词替换。
e.g. Don't worry, he will come here any minute now.
The guests are arriving any time now but we’re still not ready.
We’re expecting them any moment now.
2c Make conversations using the information in 2a and 2b
A: Could I use your computer?
B: Sorry. I’m going to work on it now.
A: Well, could I watch TV?
B: Yes, you can. But first you have to clean your room?
2d Role–play the conversation。
1 List all the main phrases of doing chores that you know. （必做）
2 Make a conversation between you and your mother, using the sentence pattern “Could you please …?” （选做）
Section A 3a-3c (Period 3)
Check the homework. List all the main phrases of doing chores that you know.
take out the rubbish do chores do the dishes sweep the floor
make dinner fold the clothes clean the living room
help out with at least finish doing sth.
be back from shopping see this mess more clean
1. New vocabulary
last month, come over，take the dog for a walk, watch one show all the time, the next day, neither did I
2. The minute I sat down in front of the TV, my mom came over.
For one week, she did not do any housework, and neither did I.
I’m just as tired as you are!
1. You watch TV all the time and ...
all the time（在该段时间内）一直；向来， 一向；时时刻刻；每时每刻
e.g. I do this all the time. 我一直是这么做的。
This happens all the time. 这种情况是时时发生的。
2. I’m just as tired as you are!
as ... as 意为 “和……一样” ，表示同级的比较。使用时要注意第一个as为副
词，第二个as为连词。其基本结构为：as + adj./ adv. + as。
e.g. This film is as interesting as that one. 这部电影和那部电影一样有趣。
Your pen writes as smoothly as mine. 你的?#30452;适?#20889;起来和我的一样流畅。
as … as 的否定形式为 “not as/so + adj./adv. + as”。
e.g. He didn’t act as well as you. 他表现?#35980;?#22914;你好。
3. For one week, she did not do any housework, and neither did I.
另一个人或物，句?#26377;?#37319;用部分倒装。此时也可用nor替换 neither 使用。
— I don’t like this dress. 我不?#19981;?#36825;件连衣裙。
— Neither / Nor do I. 我也不?#19981;丁?br/>注意：neither 之后的主语要置于助动词或系动词之后。
He answered neither of the letters. 他两封信都没回。
— Which one would you like? 你?#19981;?#21738;一个？
— Neither. 两个都不?#19981;丁?
also, too, either, neither 的用法
一、 also 是比较正式的用语，语气较庄重。它通常放在句中，位于行为动词之
Peter also has two brothers. 彼得也有两个兄弟。
I am also a student. 我也是一名学生。
Mrs. Green can also sing the song in Chinese. 格林夫人也能用汉语唱这首歌。
I’m in Row 1, too. 我也在第一排。
I don’t know him. Tom doesn’t know him, either.
If you don’t go there, he won’t go there, either.
注意：either 本身没有否定的意义。所以多与 not 连用。
Neither of you can do it. 你们两个都不能做这件事。
3a Read the passage and answer the following questions.
1. Did Nancy do any housework that day?
2. Why was Nancy’s mom angry with Nancy?
3. Did they solve the problem? How?
3b Read the story again and read the sentences below. Underline the sentences from the reading that mean the same thing.
1. Neither of us did any housework for a week.
2. My mom came over as soon as I sat down in front of the TV.
3. You’re tired, but I’m tired, too.
3c Decide whether the underlined words in the sentences are verbs or nouns. Then write another sentence using the underlined word in the other form.
1. Could you take the dog for a walk? (noun)
2. Could I watch one show first?
3. I can’t work all day.
4. You watch TV all the time.
5. “What happened?” she asked in surprise.
Section A Grammar focus-4c（Period 4）
fold one’s clothes, do the dishes, use one’s computer, take out the rubbish , make the bed, sweep the floor, stay out late, be angry with sb., take sb. for a walk, clean the living room, work on, come over, do the housework, get a ride
Could you（please）+ V-原形？表示委婉地提出请求
1. Could you please clean your room?
Yes, sure. / Of course./ Certainly./All right.
2. Could you please do the dishes?
Sorry, I can’t. I have to do my homework.
① Could/Can/May I use your car for a day?
② I wonder if I could use your car for a day?
对于①、②句所作允答可以各种各样，如同意可以说Yes或Sure或Certainly，还可说Yes, (do) please. 或Of course. (you may/can). 或Go ahead, please. 或That’s OK/all right; 如果不同意，可以说I’m sorry you can’t. 或I’m really sorry, but I have to use it today. 要避免说No, you can’t. 这样显得很不礼貌。否定回答通常用委婉语气。
③ Do you mind if I use your car for a day?
对于句③所作回答可以说Never mind. /Not at all. 表“不介意”。不能用Yes. /Sure. /Of course. /Certainly.等。无论肯定还是否定应答中，要避免使用could，要用can或may。因为应答须用确定的语气。而could在表请求的问句中是为了表示礼貌或委婉语气，用在应答中则成了不确定语气，与情理不符。所?#26434;?#31572;中不说Yes, you could. 或No, you couldn’t. 而要说Yes, you can. 或Sorry. /No, you can’t.
—Could I please use your computer?
—Sorry, I’m going to work on it now.
—Well, could I watch TV?
—Yes, you can.
Could I/you please …？表示一种有礼貌的请求或提议，其后连接原形动词，比Can you /I…？语气更委婉。类似句型有：
Would you like + sth. / to do sth.?
May I + do sth.?
Shall we + do sth.?
Would you mind + sth. /doing sth.?
What / How about + sth. /doing sth.?
肯定回答有Sure. /Of course. / Certainly. /OK. /Great. / Well. / Good idea. / I agree. 等。否定回答有Sorry… / No, you can’t. 等。
1.Make up dialogues using the sentences in Grammar Focus with your partner.
A: Could you please take the dog for a walk?
B: OK, but I want to watch one show first.
2.4a Write R for requests and P for permission. Then match each one with the correct response.
3.4b Fill in the blanks in the conversation.
A: I hate to ____ chores.
B: Well, I hate some chores too, but I like other chores.
A: Really? Great! _____ I ask you to ____ me with some chores then?
B: What do you need help with?
A: ______ you please _____ my clothes for me?
B: I don’t want to do that! It’s boring!
A: OK. Then ______ you ______ do the dishes for me?
B: Sure, no problem. But _____ we go to the movies after that?
A: Sure. I’ll finish my homework while you help me with the dishes. Then we can go to the movies.
If we are having a camping trip, what should we do before the trip?
Write a letter to your friend to ask him/her to take care of your house when you are on vacation.
Section B 1a-1e(Period 5)
1. -- Could you please take care of my dog?
-- ______. I’m too busy.
A. Yes, you can
C. Sorry, I can’t
2. -- Could you please ____ his bed?
A. makes B. making C. make
3. -- Could I use your car?
A. Sure, you can
B. Sorry, you can
C. Sure, I can
4. Could you help _____?
A. making the bed
B. make the bed
C. made the bed
Q1: Do you help your parents do the chores at home?
Q2: Do you ask your parents’ permission for?
Q3: Do your parents ask you to do some things for them?
Give some pictures and answer the following questions.
What do your parents ask you to do?
What do you ask your parents’ permission for?
Finish 1a. What do teenagers ask their parents’ permission for? What do parents ask their teenagers to do? Write parents or teenagers next to each phrase.
Finish 1b. Use the phrases in 1a to make conversations.
1. Parents: Could you please…?
Child: Yes, sure. / Sorry, I can’t. I have to ...
2. Child: Could I …?
Parents: Yes, you can. / No, you can’t. You ...
You are having a party. Invite your partner to come your party and
ask for help with these things. So, talk about the following things
with your partner.
e.g. A: Would like to come to my birthday party?
B: Yes, I’d love to./Sorry, I can’t. I have to…
A: Could you please take out the rubbish?
B: Yes, sure./No, I can’t. I have to do…
After class, please make some new dialogues with the phrases in 1a.
Section B 2a-2b(Period 6)
1. 依靠；依赖 2.发展；壮大
1. 结果是 2.生病；病倒
3. 照料?#35805;?#25252; 4.越早……越好……
Everyone should their in keeping it clean and tidy.
He how to take care of .
1. New words
stress n. 精神压力; 心理负担
waste n. 浪费; 垃圾 v. 浪费; 滥用
depend v. 依靠; 依赖
develop v. 发展; 壮大
fairness n.公正性; 合理性
since conj. 因为; 既然
prep., conj. & adv. 从……以后; 自……以来
neighbor(= neighbor) n. 邻居
drop v. 落下; 掉下
2. Skimming 意为“快速掠过，从中提取最容易取得的精华”。这种读法包含有原词的所有意思——快速读过去，取出读物中关键性的东西。因此，我们可以把这种读法理解为快速浏览课文，领会文章大意。一般而言，通过标题可知道文章的主题。对文章的首段和末段要多加注意，?#21592;?#21457;现作者的观点。
1)According to Mr. Smith and Mrs. Miller, what are the personal cons and pros about kids doing chores?
2)What do you think of it?
1）It is the parents’ job to provide a clean and comfortable environment at home for their children.
此处代词it仅为形式上的主语, 真正的主语是to provide … for their children。我们?#37096;山獻t is one’s job (duty, …) to do something.视为一个固定的句型, 表示“做某事是某人的工作(职责等)”。如:
It’s every teacher’s job to explain things clearly to the students.
provide 作动词，意为“ 提供?#36824;?#24212;”。
provide sb. with sth.或provide sth. for sb.意为“为某人提供某物”。如：
The movie theater provides us with good service.
His school provided a house for him.
They provided him with money and clothes.
They provided money and clothes for him.
2）And anyway, I think doing chores is not so difficult.
anyway是一个副词, 若位于句首, 其后往往会有?#27721;?#23558;其与句子的其他内容隔开。anyway在此句中的作用是追加评论, 相当于汉语的“反正; 仍然; 依然”。如: Sam didn’t get the job, but he’s not unhappy because it didn’t pay well anyway.
萨姆没有得到那份工作, 但他并没有闷闷不乐, 反正薪酬也不算高。
It’s just a cold. But anyway, you should still see the doctor.
这只不过是感冒, 但不管怎样, 你还是应?#27599;?#30475;医生。
3） ill & sick
ill 与sick 都可?#21592;?#31034;“生病的?#20445;?#37117;可作表语。如：
Alice was ill / sick yesterday.
表示“生病”时，sick 可作定语，但ill 通常不作定语。如：
Could you help the sick girl?
(1) The driver sent the ________ baby to the hospital.
(2) My brother is ________. I have to look after him at home.
4） The earlier kids learn to be independent, the better it is for their future.
“the+比较级+……, the+比较级+……”是英语中一个常用的句型结构, 表示“越……, 就越……”。如:
The more he explained, the better we understood.
Many people believe that the more a person reads, the wiser he will become.
Discuss the questions with your partner.
1) What do you often do to help your parents at home?
2) Do you think kids should help out with chores at home?
1. He was i_____ but nobody took him to the hospital.
2. If you don’t study hard, your grades will d______.
3. I like Old Henry because he often p_______ us with hot water.
4. We can d______ on him for help.
5. Mother thinks playing computer games is a w______ of time.
1. He _________(develop) a farm from nothing.
2. In fact, young people have too much ______ (stress) today.
3. He didn’t mind ________(help) me with my English.
4. Mr. Li and Mr. Wang are both my _________ (neighbor).
5. Why did the man make the little boy ________(carry) water?
Section B 2c-Self Check(Period 7)
Do you think children should do some chores at home?
Why or why not?
How to write a letter
最普通的是Dear，但与Mr，Mrs，Miss等不同的是：Dear后一般用名字，而Mr，Mrs，Miss后不能单独用名字，而只能是姓或姓与名，比如：对John Smith的称呼，应该是Mr Smith，Mr John Smith或 Dear John.称呼后面可用?#27721;?#25110;者冒号。
写给同龄人或年长的朋友： Yours sincerely，Sincerely yours，Yours等等。
写给好朋友： Love，With love， Best wishes等等。
写给亲戚：Love，With love，Your （ever） loving son（sister等等）。
Write a letter to the Sunday Mail and express your opinion.
Dear Sir or Madam,
I think /believe that __________. I agree/disagree that ________________.
I think it is fair/unfair for children to __________________________________.
I think children should/should not ____ because ________________________.
For example, they should/should not_________ because ___________________.
Make a list of chores using these verbs.
1. do _______________________
2. clean _____________________
3. make _____________________
4. fold _______________________
5. sweep ____________________
6. take out ___________________
Are these polite requests or permissions? Write the numbers in correct
places in the chart.
1. Could you please do your homework?
2. Could I watch TV?
3. Could you take out the rubbish first?
4. Could I use your computer?
5. Could I leave now?
6. Could you come back before nine?
Use the questions in activity 2 to write a conversation.